Seek, and ye shall find Matthew 7:7
The second level of importunate prayer mention by Jesus is the realm of seeking. Once you’ve asked God in prayer the next corresponding action is to seek His face for the answer. This level of prayer goes beyond surface solutions and band aide remedies for life most difficult challenge. This level of praying starts with the resolve to keep seeking until the require object is found. There is a resolution in the heart of intercessor that every action will be expended to receive the answer to prayer. There is a fixed determination to seek and diligently entreat the mind of God, to search earnestly until the object of the search is located. The Greek word Zeteo in this passage means to seek in order to find. to seek a thing. to seek [in order to find out] by thinking, meditating, reasoning, to enquire into to seek after, seek for, aim at, strive after to seek i.e. require, demand to crave, demand something from someone.
Seeking prayer involves seeking the Face of the Lord, His presence and council in a situation. It is the inclining of the heart, attentively listening with spiritual ears, searching for understanding. This prayer involves searching the scripture, proclaim the promise of the scripture and seeking for the discernment and wisdom of God. This will require meditating on the word. This will require time spent in solitude until God comes with awaited answer. This type of prayer implies the following after and close pursuit of God. There is diligence in the searching of God because you know that He alone has the answer to your problem. He has promised that He is a rewarder those who diligently seek Him.
Apostle Paul gives us the one of the clearest picture of the supernatural intercessory ministry of the Holy Spirit. I would like to focus on several phrase from Romans 8:26-28 in the Greek that provide insight to the work of the Holy Spirit in intercession:
- Helpth: synantilambanomai strongs 4878 signifies “to take hold with at the side for assistance” (sun, “with,” and No. 1); hence, “to take a share in, help in bearing, to help in general.” To help someone is who is laboring.
- Weakness: astheneia strongs #G769 of the soul want of strength and capacity requisite to understand a thing to do things great and glorious to restrain corrupt desires to bear trials and troubles
- As we ought dei strongs #1163 necessity in reference to what is required to attain some end. a necessity of law and command, of duty, equity. necessity established by the counsel and decree of God, especially by that purpose of his which relates to the salvation of men by the intervention of Christ and which is disclosed in the Old Testament prophecies. God has an eternal plan and purpose for mankind. The Holy Spirit knows everything and He reveals them to us. He knows the required prayers to pray to achieve the end results. The Holy Spirit gives insight and enablement to our prayer. This will keep us from presumption when praying for others. The Holy Spirit will give the right scripture to pray for a situation. He will give you the type of prayer to pray. He may lead to weep, travail, repent for a sin in identification intercession. Yielding to the Holy Spirit will insure maximum effectiveness in prayer.
- The Spirit Himself: pneuma strongs G4141 the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son
- Make intercession: hyperentygchanō strongs G5241 it is a picture of someone who has fallen into ditch and the Holy Spirit swings into action to rescue and deliver the one who is in trouble. The word conveys the idea of rescue operation. (definition is found in Rick Renner’s sparkling Gems from the greek pg191)
- Groanings : stenagmos strongs G4726 sighs, cries and sounds.
- Which can not be uttered alalētos G215 words that can not be expressed in human language but the language of the spirit. These are words that go beyond your natural language to praying in tongues of the Holy Spirit. It not your native tongues but the tongue of the spirit.
- He searches : eraunaō G2045 to seek, to investigate, to examine
- What the mind of the spirit: phronēma G5247 The thoughts and purpose and deep laid plans and purpose of God in your human spirit that are inaccessible to human mind. The Holy Spirit by revelation reveals them to your human spirit. It’s the manifestation of I cor 2;9 Eyes have not seen or ears heard nor has it entered into the heart the things God has prepared but they are revealed by the Holy Spirit.
- Maketh intercession: entygchanō G1793to light upon a person or a thing, fall in with, hit upon, a person or a thing to go to or meet a person, esp. for the purpose of conversation, consultation, or supplication to pray, entreat make intercession for any one. The Holy Spirit meets you where you are. You may be a beginner in prayer or you may be a seasoned intercessor whatever your state the Holy Spirit will meet you. He is the mentor, counselor and guide in intercession.
There are many things that are happening in our society that require careful investigation and inquiring of the Lord. There are many times when were in a place in prayer there is a lost of words and our understanding is unfruitful as to what the will of the Lord but the Lord has promised us that Holy Spirit help us in our weakness. The Holy Spirit will teach us to pray as we ought or as the occasion demands. Romans 8:26 The Holy Spirit will enlighten the eyes of our understanding as we pray in our spiritual language with tongues in the spirit.
There are some needs that require a continuous coming or asking and seeking of the wisdom of God.